Medium to larger organisations.
How could it be used?
A contest related to Occupational Health & Safety (OSH) topics could run simultaneously with your campaign. It could be a photo or video competition or a competition on the best OSH gadget.
- The competition could be a great tool to support your campaign and reinforce your key messages.
- Thanks to the competition you can create an interest in OSH-related topics among the general public.
- Even young people may be interested in the subject. During EU-OSHA’s own Photo Competition in 2011 almost one thousand people sent their photos for consideration!
- This kind of competition requires an internal commitment from an organisation:
- Engaging a wide audience
- Preparing the selection procedure, etc.
- Also, it may be cost-intensive if you consider offering a financial reward.
Who will take part?
- Think about the target audience:
- Do you want to involve general public?
- Or specific groups (e.g. only workers, only youth)
Publicising the competition
- Think how to reach the potential participants: consider using social media if the general public is involved.
- Set up a competition webpage.
- Think of the precise criteria the participants have to fulfil in order to win the competition.
- Choose the jury that will assess whether participants fulfil these criteria:
- Try to involve a well-known person to represent this panel e.g. a reputable professional photographer in the case of a photo competition.
Rules and selection procedure
- Prepare a selection procedure: if you run a sub-site devoted to the competition you may upload an entry form there.
- Make sure the rules are clear and precise and all entry forms understandable.
- If you expect a large number of participants, consider splitting the selection procedure into two stages:
- Final selection.
- In terms of timelines, organise the competition simultaneously with the campaign.
- The final event could be connected with the closing event of the campaign.
- Involve the media. Provide them with the pictures (if it is a photo competition) or other visual materials.
- Arrange interviews either with competitors and jury.